RE: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please

Subject: RE: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:11:59 -0500

Links for Copyediting-L are:

http://ce-l.blinn.com/celfaq/

and

http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/copyediting-l.html

FWIW, my impression is that editors are outnumbered by
writers about 25-to-1, and that the number of companies
that recognize that they need the services of an editor
is significantly smaller than the number of companies
that DO need one, but don't realize it. I'm only guessing
that the numbers for professional indexers are even worse.
We're talking "niche", here.

The numbers for writers are much better. Almost every
company that makes something wants it documented. A
relatively large number of them are actually willing to
hire a pro... but only if that pro shows her/his smiling
face at the office most days.

Now, put that together with the notion that most writers
DON'T get the option to telecommute exclusively, and that
only SOME editors get that option, and... hmm... where
was I going with this thought? Something about
telecommuting jobs and hen's teeth, I think...

Cheers,

/kevin