Re: need halftone plug-in for PSP

Subject: Re: need halftone plug-in for PSP
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:10:45 +1000

Paul,
I think the functional equivalent of "halftones" in electronic media is "greyscale". If so, graphics software such as PSP 7 (and probably 5) will do that for you; no plug-in needed.

In fact, the software that came with my cheap Canon desktop scanner will do it for me; I can choose that setting before I do the scan, or convert from colour to greyscale in PSP or another program after scanning.

I get great results from these greyscale images even on a 600 DPI desktop laser printer, so it ought to work for a higher-DPI commercial printer. You might have to fiddle a bit to find the best DPI setting (equivalent to "screen" in halftones), but I'm sure PSP has the right tools for you to do this.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

Paul Strasser wrote:

I'm editing a scientific report that requires halftones for printing. I can
take all the original images down to the local Halftones R Us, where it
takes many days and costs some money. Or I can scan the images and use a
halftone filter in PSP. (The organization isn't rolling in money; anything
that can save some money is appreciated) It downloaded a few filters from
some freeware sites and the results were cute, but not print quality.

Do any of you know of a decent filter -- ideally shareware or freeware --
that makes copy-ready quality halftones for either PSP 5 or 7?

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr