Re: need halftone plug-in for PSP

Subject: Re: need halftone plug-in for PSP
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:36:49 -0700

Jean:

Thanks for your comments, but greyscale is a pallette with 256 (or whatever
number) shades of grey. It looks marvelous on some printers, and pretty
much tries to emulate the look of a b&w photograph.

Halftone is different. Look at a newspaper b&w photo. It's a series of
dots of different sizes, but there are only two "colors" - dot (black) and
no dot (white). Some high-grade professional books use another color of
ink -- medium gray, commonly -- to make the appearance of B&W pix even more
pleasing. The number of lines of dots per inch varies from newspapers
(usually 72-90), about 50% more than this for magazines, and as many as 300
for quality books.

I didn't mention that we're probably going to use offset printing. Your
suggestions for printing to high-quality laser printers were right on the
money, and I thank you for them. Sorry about leaving out the "offset
printing" info in my original.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

> Paul,
> I think the functional equivalent of "halftones" in electronic media is
> "greyscale". If so, graphics software such as PSP 7 (and probably 5) will
> do that for you; no plug-in needed.
>
> In fact, the software that came with my cheap Canon desktop scanner will
do
> it for me; I can choose that setting before I do the scan, or convert from
> colour to greyscale in PSP or another program after scanning.
>
> I get great results from these greyscale images even on a 600 DPI desktop
> laser printer, so it ought to work for a higher-DPI commercial printer.
You