Re: the new economy and finding a job

Subject: Re: the new economy and finding a job
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:06:01 -0800

Molly Hovorka wrote:

For so many years, it has been fairly easy to get a job in technical
writing, at least on the high tech side. Jobs have been posted in a many
places, you didn't necessarily have to know someone inside, and offers could
come as fast as the same day one interviewed. How times have changed!! Many
of my old sources have dried up (STC board, this list and related web site),
and I've had to get more creative in the ways I've looked for a new job. Out
of curiosity, what sites and strategies have you found useful lately if you
are looking for a job? What would you avoid?

The change in the economy hasn't changed my basic job-hunting strategy:

Always go directly to the company. Always. Go to the web site first, but don't be afraid of making e-mail inquiries or cold calls. This method takes more time, but it ensures that you know all the jobs except for those in companies that are new or new to your area. No job board and no head-hunter has ever had more than about a third of the jobs in an area.

That's not to say that job boards or head-hunters can't be useful. A reputable head-hunter may hear of jobs before they're posted, and can probably do a better job of selling you than you can. And, of course, boards can save you some of the trouble of going from site to site. All the same, I wouldn't rely on any one board or head-hunter; to do so means missing many of the ads.

"To a sheep, not eating grass is a sign of a diseased mind."

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr