Re: the new economy and finding a job

Subject: Re: the new economy and finding a job
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat -at- viragelogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:42:12 -0800

Molly Hovorka wrote:

> For so many years, it has been fairly easy to get a job in technical
> writing, at least on the high tech side. Jobs have been posted in a many
> places, you didn't necessarily have to know someone inside, and offers could
> come as fast as the same day one interviewed. How times have changed!! Many
> of my old sources have dried up (STC board, this list and related web site),
> and I've had to get more creative in the ways I've looked for a new job. Out
> of curiosity, what sites and strategies have you found useful lately if you
> are looking for a job? What would you avoid?

I never tire of saying that *this* is what a "normal" economy looks
like. This is business as usual; that was fairy tale. Those of us that
have spent most or all of our careers in the post-1995 economy have just
never lived a job search in which not every lead led to an interview.
Remember the job counselors at school that kept saying things like
"network"; "send thank you letters"; "only 35% [or some such low number]
of jobs are advertised in the paper -- the rest are filled by referrals
and networking..." -- remember how it didn't seem to seem like it had
anything to do with reality? Well, it turns out reality just came back.

Advice?

* Listen to what folks on this list are saying.

* Stay on this list and be active in the STC and other such fora.

... if you're going to take one thing away from this discussion:

* Network, network, network.

Sabahat.