Re: Prerequisites for a tech writing career (apologies for holiday-delay)

Subject: Re: Prerequisites for a tech writing career (apologies for holiday-delay)
From: "S Ryan" <sryan -at- sryan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:31:28 -0800

Several folks have outlined what they think makes a sucessful tech writer.
Let me add my .02, or actually someone else's .02, with which I agree
heartily. There is a site called www.joelonsoftware.com where Joel describes
how he manages the software development process in his company. (And it is
HIS company, Fog Creek Software.)
He feels rightly that hiring the right people is essential. While he talks
about hiring software engineers, I think it applies equally well to tech
writers. He wants people who are 1. Smart and 2. Get Things Done.

There are a lot of nice-to-haves like production experience, graphics
experience, programming background, whatever...., but I agree with Joel that
it boils down to his 2 criteria.

Thoughts?

S Ryan
Writer & Editor
"Niente senza gioia"

sryan -at- sryan -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr