Re: FrameMaker crashes when I do a save as Word document

Subject: Re: FrameMaker crashes when I do a save as Word document
From: Shlomo Perets <mtype -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:41:39 +0200

Kathleen,

You wrote:

FrameMaker stops responding, which I guess is different than
crashing, whenever I attempt to save a file as a Word document. Before
stopping, it creates a rather large document (2.5 meg) with a #
extension. The type of the file is listed as the same number. For
example:

Name - untitled.doc.754
Type - 754 file =20

Has anyone else experienced this?

Unless you have very simple FrameMaker documents (key issue is not
to have graphics), it will be difficult not to encounter this. This equally
applies to FrameMaker versions 5.x and 6.0x.

In my opinion, FrameMaker's RTF/Word export filters are not functional.
Even if you follow the workaround mentioned in
http://www.microtype.com/resources/bugs/SaveAsRTF.html,
RTF output will be problematic.

If saving as RTF is something you'll need to do frequently, I recommend
using Omni Systems' MIF2go add-on.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: SP TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Course / Solutions

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr