Re: Test Scripts/ Test Specifications

Subject: Re: Test Scripts/ Test Specifications
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:48:27 -0800

John Fleming wrote:

Has anybody in this list serve done similar projects? And do you have any suggestions, tips, or warnings? What things worked well. What things would you do differently. What problems could be avoided and what would you do to avoid them?

I approached the couple of test scripts that I did in much the same way that I approach indexing. Just as, when indexing, I try to anticipate what term people might expect a concept to be under, when doing test scripts, I try to anticipate all the things that an end-user might try.
Then I tried to arrange them in an order that would allow efficient testing. To take an obvious example, if I knew or suspected that an action might crash the software or render it unusable, I tried to place it at the end of the script, where it would cause the least inconvenience. When that wasn't possible, I put a note in the script that the action might cause problems.

Other than that, the order of actions quickly becomes obvious. For example, I was doing a script for a database module. Obviously, testing for errors isn't possible until items are processed; similarly, processing isn't possible until items are entered.

In the end, test scripts aren't that different from developing a manual outline. In fact, on at least one project, I worked from test scripts to produce most of the outline for documentation.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr