Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:13:07 -0600

Bruce,

Rather than restart "The STC War," I'll refer you to the archives. This very subject came under discussion several months ago and we talked it to death. As to whether or not it's worth the dues depends on who you talk to. I'm in the "it's be best career investment you can make" camp, others will swear it's the worst investment you can make.

Jo Byrd

bgoett wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to decide if the benefits of joining STC are worth the $200.00
CDN annual fees. There seems to be a wealth of information about technical
writing free for the asking on web sites like TECHWR-L. I haven't noticed a
huge number of job postings on the main STC site or the Canadian chapter
sites. If I lived in a major center like Vancouver or Calgary, I'm sure it
would be beneficial to attend meetings and network with other tech writers.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Bruce Goett
Kelowna, B.C.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr