RE: benefits of STC membership

Subject: RE: benefits of STC membership
From: Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:39:31 -0800

Forgive me if this has already been suggested--I'm on the digest and get
things a bit late.

You're right about your statement "if I lived in Vancouver..." One of the
greatest benefits of the STC, in my opinion, is the opportunity for
networking, for making connections. You can do that to a lesser extent
online through e-lists such as this, and through web site browsing. If you
live in a remote region of B.C., then an STC membership can't give you
that, unless there's a chapter within driving distance of your house. One
alternative to consider is a once-a-year event such as a regional
conference. The cost to non-STC members is usually much less than the cost
of an annual membership, and it gives you the ability to make face-to-face
contact with other writers, potential employers, and headhunters.

If there are enough potential members and associates in your area, could
you inquire about creating a new STC chapter where you live? Just another
thought.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr