RE: Open door for Word flames...

Subject: RE: Open door for Word flames...
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:10:23 -0700

I hate tool wars. But I also get tired of people who diss Word who
obviously haven't learned how to use it properly.

Frame is (IMO) a tool used almost exclusively by pros. Word is not.
Although lots of pros use it. It's the most popular word processor on the
planet, and is what most "unskilled idiots" use. These are people who know
nothing of styles, and, more importantly, do not WANT to know anything
about styles. They want a magic typewriter. Microsoft provides them one.

When lean/mean Frame users come up against Word, they want it to act like
Frame. And in many instances it actually can, after you cut through all
the bells and whistles that Microsoft provides for the Great Unwashed
Style Ignorers of the world. But it takes at least a little while to
figure out how.

I agree that Frame carries with it virtually none of the fluff and excess
that you find in Word. And as I said, I like Frame.

But the average user CAN turn on Word, and write something. That's what
it's made for - who needs styles? You can't do that with Frame. That's all
I was saying. You have a pro tool, and a general public tool that pros can
put to good use. Apples and oranges (no Macintosh pun intended).

Let me also clarify: I use Word because I have to. And because I have to,
I made a point of getting really good at it. It can be done. And it's not
any harder than Frame.

I know this because I learned PageMaker first. Then WordPerfect. Then
FrameMaker. And THEN Word. So don't assume I'm some Word junkie that hates
Adobe.

They're ALL just tools. And MY favorite tool is my AlphaSmart.

(http://www.alphasmart.com/products/as3000_details.html)

Have a great new year!

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr