Re: Client hemming and hawing over payment

Subject: Re: Client hemming and hawing over payment
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 17:49:45 -0800

Brian Hooper wrote:

Has anybody else experienced how potential clients can talk you to death
about a project and then get quiet or evasive when it comes to
discussing your compensation.
As several other people have pointed out, this is a danger in contracting. Some clients who act this way may be dishonest, or sharp operators, but some may be simply exploring the idea of hiring a writer and not actually ready to hire one. Not that the motivation matters - all these types of clients are frustrating in their own way.

(My own bane is the ones who are simply exploring the idea. Until I talk to them and make one or two other follow-ups, I have no way of knowing for sure that they aren't ready to deal. Although I have some suspicions, and have come to identify certain traits these clients usually exhibit, the only way to be sure of what they're doing is to waste a few hours that could have been used more productively. If I had landed every blueskying artist I've encountered in the last six months, I'd be so busy now that I'd need three or four sub-contractors to keep up with the work. But of course I didn't, so I don't).

But look at it this way: at least you found out before getting too involved with the client.

I just had a meeting with a potential
client who took 2 hours and 2 lattes to defly explain her business. Then
when I broached the topic of compensation for all of the fabulous work
I'd be doing for them, she hesitated. And then informed me about 30-day
payment terms, etc., which I specifically indicated I did not want, but
that I wanted 7-day payment terms.

Some companies have well-established accounting practices that they won't deviate from, and thirty day terms are standard. Seven day terms? Well, you can ask, but I don't think you'll get them too often.

However, if regular payment is important to you, you might be able to persuade clients to pay you on the same schedule that they pay full-time employees. Since they are cutting cheques anyway, one more isn't much of a burden. That way, you can get paid every two weeks, anyway. I've done that a few times, and it's worked out well.

"I have lead a good life, quiet and artistic,
Now I shall have an old age, coarse and anarchistic."
- Utah Phillips

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr