Re: Client hemming and hawing over payment

Subject: Re: Client hemming and hawing over payment
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 15:19:41 -0800

Brad Jensen wrote:

The thing to do is be very up front and matter of fact about your
rates and payment terms.

Unfortunately, this is not always the best tactic for a contractor to take. Many clients, even ones with whom I have had long and pleasant associations with, have a phobia about talking about money. It's almost as if they imagine themselves to be Victorian gentlemen, for whom any discussion of costs is vulgar. They will talk about the project, their business plans, last night's hockey game - almost anything except money. If they're the CEO of the company, the tendency is often especially strong; money, the attitude of many CEOs seems to suggest, is a sordid thing that they have officers and manager to handle.

Because of this tendency, a contractor should be careful about exactly when money matters are mentioned. Mention money too soon, andit looks as if you're not interested in the project or the company, or anything else except the money; clients can even take it as a persona rebuff. At the same time, you shouldn't start work without having the terms nailed down. About all you can do is follow along in the conversational dance, and wait for what seems like the right opening. Usually, the best time is some time after the preliminaries have been taken of - that is, after the client has seen your work and talked about the project, and seems at least two-thirds convinced that you're the person for the job. If the right moment doesn't arrive, then talking money is acceptable is just as you're leaving; if money has to be mentioned, then it seems most acceptable as an after-thought.

At least, that's what I've found. Other contracts may have found different patterns, or devloped different tactics. All I really know is that money can be a very delicate subject.

"I have lead a good life, quiet and artistic,
Now I shall have an old age, coarse and anarchistic."
- Utah Phillips

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr