RE: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...

Subject: RE: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:55:50 -0500

Yeah, well...

Technology and Engineering students often resent having to
take one measely Technical Writing course over the two to
four years of their diploma or degree program. Yet, it's
good for them that they do, and it's good for us that they
do.

Unless you can count on getting into a coddled, big-company,
documentation-team environment, then you'll find it useful
to know a bit of practical stuff about the workings of
business.

You know... business... the curious pass-time that creates
your current/next job and puts dinner on the table, clothes
on your back, a roof over your head, and a car under your
butt...?

Resenting exposure to basic business concepts and practices
is a lot like being resentful at the awful revelation that
steaks and drumsticks are not extruded from some antiseptic
meat machine into those little plastic-wrapped foam trays that
appear in your local supermarket.

The reality of food is that farmers grow it and slaughter
it. The reality of jobs and paycheques is that people
deal with each other, following relatively common business
practices that result in sales, production and therefore
jobs. If you know a bit about the mysterious ways of
business people, you can understand what motivates them,
and have a better feel for dealing with them, and
satisfying them, even if the only ones you meet always
work for the same company that you do.

Or, you can go to work for government, and none of that
matters. (ahem... coff-coff...)

/kevin