RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell

Subject: RE: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell
From: Win Day <winday -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 16:15:36 -0500

At 11:26 AM 08/01/2002 -0800, Michael Simoni wrote:

With several related threads going on about the CFH and business practices,
curiosity has gotten the best of me. I see parallels between the current
topic and some of what I had to write about at my previous job, a
construction software company. Two options have been presented - suck it up
and do the additional work at no additional cost, or attempt to renegotiate
the contract.

Has anyone used or attempted to use change orders to amend contracts? Has it
been successful?

I have. I've found that the only clients who understood what they were and what they meant were engineering firms. And not software engineering firms, either -- I mean EPC (engineering/procurement/construction) firms, process control engineering firms, that sort of company.

I think because they already used change orders to manage their contracts with their own clients that they were willing to accept the concept from me. It worked quite well. My bread-and-butter client for more than 5 years was a process control engineering firm. I only stopped contracting to them when they were bought out by a big US firm who had their own documentation department.

I've tried it with other kinds of companies and got a blank stare in return. They didn't understand how the process worked, which is the bind in which Elna found her company in the first place.

I do write my web/e-commerce site development contracts that way. So far, I haven't had to resort to using them. I don't know how well they'll be received.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr