pdf formatting? (Take II)

Subject: pdf formatting? (Take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:17:23 -0500

Scott responded to my original query: <<And if you format the PDF for online
viewing, the people who prefer to have a hard copy are up the creek, since
now it will take twice as long, have no useable index (especially if they
conserve paper and print n-up of your little screen-sized pages).>>

Good point. What I neglected to add to my original post was that for these
and other reasons, PDF makes a lousy medium for online help; it's also not
easy to make it context sensitive, for one thing. So really, what you want
to do is provide PDF exclusively for printing, and the same material
formatted for online use as online help.

<<Additionally, what size do you make it for: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x
768? And for what size monitor: 15 -, 17 -, 19 -, 21-inch?>>

This is why online help is a better solution for onscreen reading; users can
adjust the window size and (if memory serves) typeface to suit their needs.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
personality, and an obnoxious one at that."-Kim Roper

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr