Re: Alone from the start

Subject: Re: Alone from the start
From: "Rob Writer" <piercedroo -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:25:54 -0600

Has anyone on this list been the lone writer on their
*very first* job (i.e. working in-house) or project?
If you had to do it again, would you still plunge in
or would you wait for a gig that put you in the
company of other more experienced writers?

My first tech writing job was as an intern during college. Six months after I started, but six months from graduation, the other technical writer quit. I was fortunate to learn much from her about tech writing basics before she left (thanks Daisy).

I was the sole technical writer for this small software company for another 1.5 years. I have since worked with a larger group (12 writers + 1 editor), but am once again the lone writer at a small (30 people) company.

What did I learn? After four years as a technical writer, I know enough to know that I don't know enough. I enjoy the challenges (and job security) of being the only technical writer. But I often miss not having a mentor. (I do have a mentor-of-sorts now at work, but the mentorship is geared towards general career/management skill developement, and not technical writing career development.)

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr