Re: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: Brian Hooper <hooperbc -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:56:15 -0800

Emsahlstein -at- cs -dot- com wrote:

> the other comment I've heard is that if you were a suit, it really can't count
> against you, but if you don't wear
> a suit it can.

I have a different opinion. My view is that sometimes if you DO wear a suit, it
can be disadvantageous. The deciding factor is the specific job you want and the
region where the job is. For example, here in Silicon Valley, as in most western
cities, such as Austin, a very laid back approach and sensibility is best.
Otherwise, you can come off as intimidating, too rigid for the looseness of a
tech ennvironment, or someone new to working in the tech field. For example, I
once wore a suit to a tech writing interview, and the recruiter immediately
complimented me. But the staff member interviewing me took a double take at what
I was wearing. I think she thought, Does this guy "get it"? Sometimes the way you
dress in the tech field is a reflection of how experienced you are in working
such an environment. However, that said, I'm from back east and know how much
more formal things are. So, although a suit might be one extreme and flip flops
the other, if I were you I'd go for the balance, something in-between--blazer,
v-neck sweater, khakis, loafers.

Hope you get the job!

Brian

--
Brian C. Hooper
Writer/Editor and Web Text Analyst

"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." - Okakura
Kabuzo

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr