Re: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:37:39 -0500

Brian Hooper wrote:

> Emsahlstein -at- cs -dot- com wrote:
>
> > the other comment I've heard is that if you were a suit, it really can't count
> > against you, but if you don't wear a suit it can.

Anywhere except in very informal hi-tech environments, this is almost certainly
correct.

On the other hand, I last owned a suit sometime in the mid-70s, and I have been
hired for a few things since then, so it clearly isn't essential.

I wear a good sports jacket and dress pants, in winter clean leather boots and a turtleneck, in summer suede or polished leather
shoes and shirt and tie. Methinks
being any more informal than that is distinctly risky, even in hi-tech.

> I have a different opinion. My view is that sometimes if you DO wear a suit, it
> can be disadvantageous. The deciding factor is the specific job you want and the
> region where the job is. For example, here in Silicon Valley, as in most western
> cities, such as Austin, a very laid back approach and sensibility is best.
> Otherwise, you can come off as intimidating, too rigid for the looseness of a
> tech ennvironment, or someone new to working in the tech field. ...

Yes. See the Jargon File entry for "suit":
http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/suit.html

If the interviewers are using that definition, you should definitely try to
avoid having them apply it to you.

Your Mileage May Vary and Know Your Audience.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr