Re: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:04:14 -0800 (PST)

In article 2090609 -at- LTS -dot- com, Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com (Elna Tymes) writes:
>| <Emsahlstein -at- cs -dot- com> wrote...
>
>|>I'm just getting started looking for a job and I'm wondering what people's
>|>opinions are on the following question: Do you have to wear a suit?
>
>According to a large ad in this morning's San Jose Mercury News for a
>job fair, "no jeans" is specified. Note that it didn't say "wear a suit."
>
>When I talk to clients representing my firm, I don't usually wear a suit
>unless (1) I'm in San Francisco, and (2) I'm dealing with a
>non-technical firm, such as a financial institution or some large legal
>firm or the occasional aberrant technical firm like Siebel, where slacks
>and white shirts are considered desk wear.

A friend of mine used to work for conservative accounting
company Arthur Andersen in the Boston area. When he applied
for a job at Sun, he naturally wore a suit to the interview.
Everyone who interviewed him was wearing very casual attire,
mainly T-shirts, jeans, and Birkenstocks. He was a little
bemused by this, but it didn't really affect him until his
final meeting of the day with the HR person. He said he
could barely keep from laughing when she explained that
Fridays were dress-down days. He was trying to figure out
how anything could get *more* casual than what he'd already
seen, and could only figure that people must wear bathing
suits or pajamas to work :->

My other favorite interview story was someone who came
to interview at my previous company on Halloween. No
one had remembered that they had a candidate coming in
so, as was the custom at that company, most people had
worn costumes to work. My friend came in her navy
business suit and had to keep a straight face as she
was interviewed by clowns, vampires, etc.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr