Re: Question about dressing for job interv

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interv
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:59:19 -0800 (PST)

In article 5070804 -at- axionet -dot- com, bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com (Bruce Byfield) writes:
>Secara, Maggie wrote:
>
>|Oddly enough, my resume and my
>|personal charm (and actual competance) has been of more importance than
>|looking like a rather rumpled accountant would have done.
>|
>You mean people actually judge you by ability? That will never catch on.
>
>Seriously, I think that, the more experience you have, the more leeway you have in what you wear to interviews. If you have experience, a little eccentricity is acceptable. In fact, at companies that lean towards the artistic side, lack of eccentricity probably counts against you, suggesting that you lack confidence in yourself. Of course, that doesn't mean dressing like a bicycle courier, but it does mean that you don't need to be conventionally formal.

I agree with this to a certain extent. I certainly obsessed
more about what I was going to wear to an interview early
in my career than I would now.

Also, forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but
geographic location plays a big part in this decision, besides
even what industry you're pursuing. On the East Coast, I would
probably never wear pants to a first interview. Here on the
West Coast, I always have (albeit pants with a businesslike
top, or a coordinated pants outfit). OTOH, when I was briefly
thinking of moving to Houston, the local recruiter was
horrified when I told him I hadn't brought any dresses with me.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

Calling Windows XP "the most reliable Windows ever" is like calling
asparagus "the most articulate vegetable ever" -- Dave Barry