Re: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: Re: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:37:42 -0500

Hello,

Building on what others have already said, and speaking from a purely East Coast,
U.S., upstate NY perspective:

I would say, "go with the suit." If you're in the Boston area, I'm assuming it
can't hurt a first impression. I've only had interviews on the U.S. East coast,
and they have always been on the conservative side (i.e., I wear a suit,
interviewer wears a suit, etc.). People seem to appreciate it, and believe that
you take the interview seriously and that you're a serious candidate.

That said, however, others Techwr-Lers from around the world have recommended
being aware of the company culture and wardrobe expectations before going in.
Know your audience - that makes perfect sense to me.

Regards,
Laura (who wears suits to work often, anyway - company culture and all that :)

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and
not of Paychex, Inc.

Hannah wrote:

> <previous text snipped> ...One observation, though. I see what you wear to an
> interview as a form of communicating. What you choose reflects your preparation,
> your forethought, and your attitude. All of these are communicated to the
> interviewer before a word is said, whether the reception is conscious or
> sub-conscious. As with any
> other communication, it does truly come down to knowing your audience.
>
> hannah Bissell
> to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

> Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1

Laura MacLemale