Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:43:57 -0500

At 03:53 PM 1/14/02 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:

Why use such an esoteric phrase

for the same reason you just used esoteric instead of 'unusual' or 'uncommon' or 'not widely known' or 'difficult' or 'mysterious'.

when "common language" or "common
protocol"

actually, protocol is questionable if you're shooting for simple language that doesn't require translation. i'm not shooting for that, though.

would work and not require translation? I see no reason
whatsoever to use the phrase "Lingua Franca." It clearly confused your
readers.

well, it confused one of three readers. the same reader objects when i write it Yahoo! instead of Yahoo. she didn't ask me to remove it. she thought it was geekspeak, however.

i use words like lingua franca because that's what we get paid to do. had the client asked me to remove it, thinking it too difficult or esoteric, i probably would have. like you, andrew, i tend to gear my writing toward the particular client.

While we on the topic of confusion, your description of BGP is inaccurate.
BGP allows routers to exchange routing information, similar to RIP. It
does not move network data at all. This is done via other protocols. BGP
merely allows a router in one network to know how to route packets to
another network.

i wrote: "routers speak BGP to one another in order to move network traffic without losing it."

perhaps it would be less confusing to you and others were i to write: "in order to move network traffic without losing it, routers speak BGP to on another."

or, "routers, in order to move network traffic without losing it, speak BGP to one another."

i'm hard pressed to see how the first sentence conveys the notion that BGP moves information. It seems clear that the router moves information. (context matters, of course. the preceding section contained a discussion of what routers are and do. they now know that routers move information. they are learning that BGP is a common language that helps routers from different manufacturers move this information.)

perhaps an ace sentence diagrammer could settle it? :) i'm guessing that, like me, this isn't your strong suit since you confuse "your" for "you're" and "of" for "have".

kelley

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr