Re: Lingua Franca Today

Subject: Re: Lingua Franca Today
From: kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:54:52 -0500

At 08:24 PM 1/14/02 -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:

I am sure you meant well, but I think it is inappropriate to be using
flowery language like "Lingua Franca" in a technical document. The point
of technical communications is not to demonstrate that you CAN use big
words, its to communicate complex ideas using SIMPLE language.

it's not a technical document. we;ve had this debate on the list frequently enough. not all of us write user help manuals, nor do we write software documentation. as i explained elsewhere, our clients actually pay for the writing we do for them _because_ it is literate and makes cultural references in "flowery" language. this particular project is more akin to science journalism like the kind Sharon Begley of Newsweek writes. It's more like journalism, i suppose. Begley, of course, uses words like enmity and opprobrium when other words would certainly do.

oh, and btw, the phrase lingua franca was used recently in a security focus article, as someone pointed out offlist:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lingua+franca+router

see, specifically: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/302

kelley

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr