Re: Question about precontract stage

Subject: Re: Question about precontract stage
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:56:46 -0800

Bonnie Granat wrote:

<snip>

I agreed to create three mock-up pages as samples of what I could produce.
I sent them to the president the next day. In response, the president wrote,
"Wow. That was fast. How much do you want to help develop this Web site." I
was confused by the question, so I responded, "Well, if you decide on
someone else, I wouldn't be heartbroken."
Is it considered part of marketing oneself to begin work (reading business
plans, briefing papers, and other documents pertaining to the job) before
one has a signed contract?

Congratulations, Bonnie - you've just done the initial phase of a contract - determining if there's a need and determining that they're interested in your work. You now need to negotiate the rest of the contract - pay, terms, conditions, etc. (check the archives - a lot of us have commented on what to include/exclude in a contract).

The direct answer to your question is yes, it's normal to do some background work before you get a signed contract. In hot times, you can charge for this. In not so hot times you may be able to charge for the time you spent researching, but you may find some objections. Many of us include the hours spent researching in the estimate of time to complete the project.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr