Re: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: Re: Gray hair and first impressions
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:04:32 -0800

I hate to be so real about this, but looking younger will get you more job offers than looking old. And there is a difference in how gray hair works for men vs. women.

I'm an "older woman." Definitely. Clairol and I have had a wonderful relationship since I was in my late 30's, when the gray started to appear. Thanks to Clairol, my hair is ash blond. These days, I'm told I look in my mid 40's, which of course absolutely delights me. However I get the jobs. Yes, I have a powerful resume, and my interview impressions, I'm told, are that I'm a comfortable person and very competent. But the first 2-minute impression is that I'll fit in - I'm young enough and comfortable enough to get along with the engineers and competent enough to know what they're talking about. And I'm positive that the lack of gray hair is part of that impression.

That said, I think the standards are different for men and women. I believe some gray hair is an asset for men - it gives the impression that you've been through the wars a bit and just may know what you're talking about. A full head of gray hair, however, can be a drawback in some environments.

For women, however, a full head of well-styled short gray hair, if combined with a youthful face and figure, can imply a 'Mom went back to school and earned a CS degree' mindframe. And that works with young engineers.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr