RE: Writing, talking, and chewing gum at the same time....

Subject: RE: Writing, talking, and chewing gum at the same time....
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:39:19 -0000

Though I missed the original message, apparently Mr. Posada enquired who
was trained to speak...

I did a theatre/writing double-major in university. Though my major was
directing in the theatre portion of my degree, the program was pretty
enlightened and required students to participate in all portions of the
production process. So, I took a couple of acting courses and did some
acting here and there. In voice class, I learned how to articulate and
speak from the diaphragm and all that good stuff. I also memorized a
number of vocal warm-up exercises that I still employ before public
speaking today (these are pretty embarrassing, so it's best to do them
in private). As a side note, if you've never heard a large cast complete
a vocal warm-up before a show, you've missed a compelling sort of
surreal vocal symphony.

Additionally, as a director, you spend a lot of your time trying to
translate abstract concepts in concrete instruction, as in "this scene
is about Hamlet's suicidal tendencies...where should he stand and can we
move that plinth up-stage?" This involved both the mental process of
figuring out how to best depict themes and trying to convey these ideas
to (often delicate) actors. You can imagine where the latter comes in
handy.

My two cents. DB.