Re:RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion

Subject: Re:RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion
From: SANDRA_DEQUESADA -at- udlp -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:42:22 -0600

For what it's worth, the following definitions allude to a spoken language
between people, not between machines. Anyway, from the only two online
dictionaries I tend to use, I got the following definitions which are all
similar, explain it well IMO, and were easy to find:

From Dictionary.com

lingua fran·ca (frngk)
n. pl. lingua fran·cas (-kz) also linguae fran·cae (frngk, frns)
A medium of communication between peoples of different languages.
A mixture of Italian with Provençal, French, Spanish, Arabic, Greek, and
Turkish, formerly spoken on the eastern Mediterranean coast.

-
[Italian : lingua, language + franca, Frankish (that is, European).]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

lingua franca \Lin"gua Fran"ca\ (l[i^][ng]"gw[.a] fr[a^][ng]"k[.a]). [It.,
prop., language of the Franks.] The commercial language of the Levant, -- a
mixture of the languages of the people of the region and of foreign traders.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

lingua franca \Lin"gua Fran"ca\ Any hybrid or other language used over a wide
area as a common or commercial tongue among peoples of different speech.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

lingua franca n : a common language used by speakers of different languages
[syn: koine]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

From Meriam Webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: lin·gua fran·ca
Pronunciation: 'li[ng]-gw&-'fra[ng]-k&
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural lingua francas or lin·guae fran·cae
/-gwE-'fra[ng]-(")kE/
Etymology: Italian, literally, Frankish language
Date: 1619
1 often capitalized : a common language consisting of Italian mixed with French,
Spanish, Greek, and Arabic that was formerly spoken in Mediterranean ports
2 : any of various languages used as common or commercial tongues among peoples
of diverse speech
3 : something resembling a common language

Author: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
Date: 1/16/2002 10:43 AM

Hi guys,

Am I the only person who read this thread who thought, at some point, "gee
folks are being just a trifle rough on Kelley?".

Not only haven't we come up with a definition for lingua franca - which may
suck as an expression in documents due to the lack of knowledge of what it
means - but then Kelley's question was if we could provide a definition. I
think the definition was that "lingua franca" is the common jargon or
business talk slang used in an area of business or society, understood by
the people in those areas, however prone to misunderstanding by those not in
constant contact with the area of business or society. Lingua franca is the
short-hand language used in that area. [let me put in a side note - that
definition is too wordy...but I hope Kelley has the time to fix it up!].

[snip]