Reality check

Subject: Reality check
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:50:18 -0800

I am talking to a potential client. In 4 weeks, they want a complete user
manual, including examples and scenarios and a CBT that "supports the user
guide" (must reflect the complete user guide). The product is a web based
supply chain product. There is no existing documentation, although an online
help is being scoped now and a beta help should be ready by the time we
start our part. (I don't know who is doing the help so I don't know what may
actually be in it - if it is "In the Name field, type a name" help, it is of
no value to us for our part.) The client says the product is at least 50
screens - while that doesn't tell me the possible tasks, it gives me a sense
of at least the areas of work possible.

My crew says that with a week to plan - outlines, storyboards, prototype
designs, approval from client - and 3 days to internal QA, we cannot do this
project. I am leaning to agree with them. It leaves us 2.5 weeks of actual
development time (and reviews and edits) and adding more people to the
project will not help, I think, even blowing the week out to 60 hours a
week - which I hate doing to my writers ever. It make us crazier (and
crankier) than normal.

I am looking for a reality check. The client seems immovable about the 4
weeks. I keep saying starting now and they keep saying in mid Feb. Before I
call and explain why this seems like a train-wreck in the making and we try
to limit our wrecks when possible, can anyone think of anything we are not
thinking of?

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org