Update: Re: Question about precontract stage

Subject: Update: Re: Question about precontract stage
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:38:49 -0500

The prospect wants to pay for the entire job, not by the hour, he writes me
today. I suppose there's nothing that I can do about that except be very
accurate in my quote, right?

The project is a straightforward Web site for a small residential community
in a rural area in the Mid-West. I will be talking with him on the phone
tomorrow.

If someone threw a lot of copy at me and said, "Build me a Web site.", I
could do it because I would have all the pieces of the puzzle and could sort
them out. I have raw documents now only, and the prospect tells me he will
write copy and that a Web structure can be done later.

I am happy he cannot see my quizzical look at this last remark of his, and
wonder whether this is going to be worth the effort.

I also haven't a clue as to how to price myself. Editing I can price.
Writing I can price. Pricing the creation of a Web site from unknown "input"
is quite beyond me. LOL. I hope that tomorrow we can nail down exactly what
my raw material is going to be. Then I can get started with my calculator.

What's the going rate for a Web site, anyway? Do I establish a total price
that will provide me an hourly rate that is within my range?

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the responses and the fine comments.

Bonnie Granat
http://home.att.net/~bgranat/