RE: Reality check

Subject: RE: Reality check
From: Stephen McDermott <Stephen -dot- McDermott -at- PREMERA -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:33:24 -0800

Maggie writes,
"Every software project I've been on in the last 4-5 years has come in dead
on schedule."
_______

Just a couple of serious questions from a non-software writer (by choice).
It is not directed specifically at Maggie, or is it intended to bruise (or
inflate) egos or raise red flags, but it does go back to my post yesterday
regarding integrity.(/disclaimer)

I, as a consumer, see a serious flaw in software development that can (and
will) cripple these companies that "always" release on time. (MS 2000 -
80,000+ known bugs on the day before release... but it was still released on
time... other companies release patches released within a week after a
release.

Might this "dead on-schedule" be correct because a software company is
releasing incomplete programs? Are people so concerned about the deadline
that quality and personal integrity for releasing a good product slip? Is
there a bonus for releasing on schedule?

I understand that we, as writers, get left out of last minute decisions
sometimes, and that WE must release addendums to our documentation... but
the actual product? ("excuse me... can you bring your
<refrig/car/boat/plane> back? We realized after you told us that it doesn't
work...")

It sounds like John's organization is well-managed (possibly micro?), but it
provides the necessary resources to complete challenges in realistic
timeframes.

Steve