Re: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: Re: Gray hair and first impressions
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:51:42 -0800 (PST)

--- wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net wrote:

> I would like to ask you women out there if you've run into bias
> because of age or the fact that your hair is gray. I would also like to
> ask
> any men on the list who are in hiring positions to weigh in on the matter.
>
> One might make the case that if you can look younger by coloring your hair
> you should do it; however, I don't like the drying effect it has on my
> hair.
> Funny how something that seems so trivial can have an effect on whether or
> not you get a job!
>
> Pat Glass

Pat,

You raise a good question. First, there is no doubt that age discrimination
exists. I don't know that it's rampant, but it is out there, and it probably
affects women more than men (though I have experienced it myself). So you are
wise to think about how you get past any early hurdles where you could be
judged on superficialities rather than qualifications.

Speaking for myself, if anything I would probably look more favorably on
someone with a few gray hairs (since I have them myself). I think a mature
person has many of the challenges of youth behind them, will tend to be more
stable in the workplace, and will tend to focus more on the job at hand and
less on moving up in the organization or acquiring power. (These are, of
course, generalities; I try not to apply them to specific situations. But they
do represent the background of what I'm thinking.)

I'm generally in favor of doing anything that will make you feel better about
yourself, help you make the best possible impression in an interview, and help
you land the kind of job you want. So I would turn those comments into
questions when it comes to coloring your hair. Will you feel better about
yourself as a job seeker? Do YOU feel it will help you compete on a more level
playing field? If so, I don't think it will hurt you. Ultimately, will it make
a difference in your getting a job you want? I don't know. I would like to
think that *I* would hire the best person for the job regardless of a lot of
factors (of which age is only one).

Hope This Helps,

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 01/15/02

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/