RE: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: RE: Gray hair and first impressions
From: Kelly Werner <kwerner -at- eaglesoft -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:37:30 -0600

<snip>
While one would hope that qualifications count more than appearance or age
when interviewing for a job, I know that a first impression is
important.

One very astute (but terrible) manager of my past told me that
qualifications are a perception. Meaning that if you LOOK qualified then
you ARE qualified and if you LOOK professional, you ARE professional. He
explained that 98% of the people you work with will base their opinion of
your WORK on your personal appearance. I've sadly found this to be true.
My opinion is color your hair, get the job then let the color fade. This
fear of ageism will undermine your confidence.