Content for TooTips

Subject: Content for TooTips
From: shannon -dot- morris -at- gen21 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:53:33 -0700

I have been tasked with developing "ToolTips" for buttons in a new
application that has been developed using Flash. I am having trouble with
the wording, obviously length is an issue, but one I am less concerned
about for the moment. I will be developing help files with Webworks from
the FrameMaker guide - so there will be a help feature available to users
to look up definitions or tasks, etc...

So on to my questions:

What type of content should be contained in a ToolTip?
Here is an example: One button says "Media." The user must click it to add
new media, but there are rules and information they will need to know
before they can actually add it - should the ToolTip simple say "Add
Media" or should there be a brief definition added about what media
constitutes and a highlight of the rules?

Are ToolTips generally just a type of rollover help?

Are there guidelines for rollover help/tooltips? (I was able to find a few
sites
(http://www.mozilla.org/docs/refList/user-interface/specs/tooltips/), and
searched the archieves but didn't find anything specific that fitted my
questions.)

I know once I get better grasp on what each button actually does I will be
able to come up with the correct verbabge to include - I am just wondering
what others experiences have been when designing content for ToolTips.

Thanks. I am on the digest, so any comments, questions, or suggestions can
you forward to me.
Shannon