Re: A cautionary tale

Subject: Re: A cautionary tale
From: Fred Sampson <fred -at- fredsampson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:41:16 -0800

One technique I've used for leaving my portfolio: make one that I can leave behind and don't expect to get back.

Photocopy appropriate samples, including pages from printed manuals, put the samples together neatly categorized with dividers in a cheap binder with my name and contact info on the spine. Make several of these. If I'm asked to leave a portfolio behind, or even if they just want to pass it around during the interview, I'm not leaving the prospective employer with my only copies of anything.

I'll take one of these throw-aways with me to an interview along with a more substantial glossy portfolio and some printed manuals. The good one (and the books) never leaves my sight. If they keep the throw-away, then there's a reminder of me floating around their office. If it gets tossed, I've only lost the cost of a cheap binder and some photocopying, not my originals. I've had several interviewers insist on mailing back the throw-away, which at least demonstrated their respect for my work.

This technique was recommended by Jonathan Price, an instructor in the tech writing certificate program I went through two years ago.

Fred Sampson
Technical Writer
fred -at- fredsampson -dot- com
831-728-1339