Re: Question on direct quotes

Subject: Re: Question on direct quotes
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 24 Jan 2002 12:46:39 EST

<taking out my handy-dandy Chicago Manual of Style>

<quote>
Direct quotations must reproduce exactly not only the wording but the
spelling, capitalization, and internal punctuation of the original,
except....<endquote>

it lists several exceptions but the one that applies to you is:

<quote>
In a passage quoted from a modern book, journal, or newspaper, an obvious
typographical error may be silently corrected, but in a passage from an older
work or from a manuscript source, any idiosyncrasy of spelling should
generally be preserved, although in some cases the author may consider it
desirable to modernize spelling and punctuation for the sake of clarity. The
reader should be informed of any such alterations, either in a note or, in a
book containing many such quotations, by an explanation in the preface or
elsewhere.<endquote>

My suggestion would be to correct the obvious typographical errors and
anything that may assist in clarity. If there are enough changes that make it
obvious to someone referencing the quote, add a note stating that the quote
has been edited for clarity and may not be a direct duplicate of the
original.

hannah Bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1