TOC Bookmarks in PDF

Subject: TOC Bookmarks in PDF
From: Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:50:52 -0500

I am really up against a wall and I hope someone who has more experience in
documentation than I do can help me out.

I create our manuals in Pagemaker, generate a TOC and then create a PDF
using the "Export" function. This gives us a pdf with clickable bookmarks
that link to the page on which the TOC item is found. In this case, the
bookmarks in the pdf are not indented or "booked" as in a TOC for online
help. This is my problem. The software manager has asked me to look into
trying to create bookmarks in the pdf that reflect the format of online
help TOC. I know that I can do this manually - but it will take forever!!
And . . . when I have changes to the manual and have to recreate the pdf,
then I have to recreate the bookmarks as well.

I will start using RoboHelp in the spring and I will be taking classes
because I am not very familiar with creating online help. So, here is my
question:
Using Pagemaker, does anyone know of a plug-in that will create a TOC in my
pdf automatically that uses a format similar to that in the online help
TOC?
Once I create online help using RoboHelp, is there any way I can create a
pdf with bookmarks from that file?

As you can tell, I am not familiar with the ins and outs of online help and
am hoping someone can help me out, even if the answer is "No, it can't be
done."

TIA!

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Dycor
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
(Albert Schweitzer)