RE: TOC Bookmarks in PDF

Subject: RE: TOC Bookmarks in PDF
From: danlew -at- mindspring -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:51:14 -0500

Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com wrote:

>I create our manuals in Pagemaker, generate a TOC and
>then create a PDF using the "Export" function. This
>gives us a pdf with clickable bookmarks that link to
>the page on which the TOC item is found. In this case,
>the bookmarks in the pdf are not indented or "booked"
>as in a TOC for online help. This is my problem. The
>software manager has asked me to look into trying to
>create bookmarks in the pdf that reflect the format of
>online help TOC. I know that I can do this manually -
>but it will take forever!! And . . . when I have
>changes to the manual and have to recreate the pdf,
>then I have to recreate the bookmarks as well.

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to create a hierarchy
in the bookmarks. I would go ahead and let Pagemaker generate
the bookmarks and then edit the Pagemaker exported PDF with
Acrobat. In acrobat you can promote existing bookmarks to parent
status, grouping others beneath them, or if the top level topic
bookmarks don't already exist you can add them. Since you can
select a whole group of bookmarks at one time and make them
children of a higher level bookmark, you should be able to build the
hierarchy in Acrobat quite quickly.

Hope this helps.

Dan Lewis
Vitel Software, Inc.