Re: Vector Graphics

Subject: Re: Vector Graphics
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:29:39 -0500

CSM asked:

> Is there a way to:
>
> A) Convert a web picture (.gif or .jpg) to a vector graphic
>
> B) Minimize the graphic so it does not get blurry
>
> C) Convert the picture back to a web graphic

What kind of picture are you thinking of converting? The difficulty of
converting to vector depends on the image.

*If* it happens to be a screenshot, my advice would be: don't try to
convert to vector. Resize it in a format that will resize gracefully (i.e.,
if you're in Photoshop, convert temporarily to RGB Mode; in Indexed Color
mode, resizing is a disaster) and save it as a GIF. A JPG will almost
invariably be blurry if there's text involved, unless you save it at such a
high quality that it defeats the purpose of using JPG compression. Or
better yet, find a way around resizing the image. If I'm working with
screenshots, I rarely use a full-screen capture because that usually means
resizing and losing some clarity. Instead I use a series of smaller cropped
screenshots, each showing whatever particular interface element I'm writing
about at full size (and a little bit of the rest of the screen, for
context).

I've never had to resort to vector.

If it's *not* a screenshot, you can probably ignore this advice. If it is,
check the archives--there's stuff in there about this issue--or email me.

Meta-comment to everybody asking for advice: For the most useful and
relevant advice, include background on the task you're trying to
accomplish, so people can determine whether you're barking up the wrong
tree or not.

Christine
canameie -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov