RE: Vector Graphics

Subject: RE: Vector Graphics
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:55:23 -0700

Are you going to publish the vector graphic anywhere, or is this just your
scheme to resize the image with minimal loss of clarity?

I know Adobe Streamline can help you convert bitmaps to vectors; I have
not used the other products that have been mentioned in the responses your
post has received.

If all you are trying to do is resize, try this (using any decent bitmap
software, like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop):

For GIFs, increase the number of colors to 16 million.
Use bicubic resampling to resize the image.

NOTE: If the change in size is a major one, do not do it all in one step.
For example, if you're shrinking the image, first reduce it to 90% of its
original size. Then keep repeating that process until you get it to the
approximate size you want. For the final step, set the resizing parameters
to the exact pixel size you want to resize the image to. Experiment with
sharpening the image maybe once in the middle of your steps, and possibily
again with the final image.

If your final image needs to be a GIF (which is non-lossy, and will
preserve your work more accurately if it's not photographic or
color-rich), reduce the colors back to 256 and save your new image.

For drastic resizing, text tends to get blurry. It may be in your best
interest to remove the text and add new text to the resized image. But
that's a pain in the butt.

Hope this helps!

- Keith Cronin

Is it just me, or does part of Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldiers" sound
exactly like the old "Banana Splits" TV theme?