Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:44:12 -0800

But we are busier right now than all last quarter! Things are improving
fast. I just have a good crew that works together well and can handle the
current work load. And I am cautious about adding new people because they
need to fit into the group or I get a revolution (Boss, the writers are
revolting, I think you need to come see.)

Properly using our tools is part of being a journeyman or master at what we
do. Imagine a carpenter who did not understand how to use power tools but
assures you there is more than one way to properly frame your house or lay
the bricks! Hand tools are just as good, he says, and beside, I know those.
His way will cost you about 50x in materials and labor.

It matters, folks. A lot more than you may realize. We HAVE to be able to
use our tools effectively. I have a 15 minute rant I do on this topic - Want
to get more respect at your job? Understand the technology you spend at
least 8 hours a day working with. That includes the computer and your tools.
Learn how to fix stuff such that your first thought is not to re-install
everything but you are actually able to troubleshoot the problem because you
actually understand how your computer and your OS works. understanding this
will get you more respect because you will be technical - remember, our job
has 2 words in it and one is technical.

Ask my opinion of writers who do not use the keyboard more than the mouse.
Go ahead, ask. ;-)

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org