Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:58:11 -0800

I totally disagree that tech writers do not need to use styles in Word and
that the same can be accomplished in other ways.

A tech writer that does not use styles is creating an unmaintainable
document. Since time is money to me - an outsourcing company - I have to pay
a writer for every hour s/he works on the doc. If the client wants to change
the look of the 400 page document 3 days before we ship and you have not
used styles, we have a crisis. A major crisis. Without styles, you are going
to spend that 3 days hand fixing every paragraph in that document and expect
me to pay you for it, which I won't. Using styles, it is a pretty fast
change and I will pay you for it.

When you hand that same project to another writer, I also have to pay
him/her to fix the mess you made, because we cannot start changing the doc
to reflect the new version until we have a structured doc that can be
reliably changed. That makes me cranky.

I am clear to all my writers that you use styles, regardless of the tool.
Not doing that after I told you what is expected will get me to speak
sharply. When you continue to not use styles after I speak sharply, I fire
you (the other thing I ALWAYS fire people for is lying). I cannot afford to
have you waste your time creating an unmaintainable document, regardless of
the tool. I am uninterested in how lovely your document is if no one can
maintain it.

It shows a clear technical understanding of the technology we use to make a
living, regardless of the tool. That is part of TECHNICAL writing.

My thoughts and my opinion.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org