RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:21:17 -0800 (PST)

I was at a contract (not there anymore) where they hired a tech
writer with multiple years of experience. I was not involved in the
hiring and had not met her prior to her walking in.

She didn't work out. Couldn't handle the workload, didn't have a
"high gear" come crunchtime.

After she left, just for yucks, I pulled down her resume. It didn't
dawn on me at the time, but her entire resume was button-formatting
on a Body style.

I've been thinking about this. Could it be that one was related to
the other? BTW..upon reading the resume I realized that her multiple
years were to write content, which was then delivered to the next
department for formatting.

--- David Knopf <david -at- knopf -dot- com> wrote:
> Michael Oboryshko wrote:
>
> | A couple of folks mentioned they wouldn't hire tech writers who
> | formatted their resumes in Normal style. Thanks for the warning
> | about your screening practices. I hope it gets you the kind of
> | tech writers you want.
>
> When I post an opening, I usually receive dozens of resumes. I
> don't
> specify a format in which resumes should be submitted, and I really
> don't care if they come in Word, Frame, HTML, or plain ASCII format
> or
> by fax or snail mail for that matter. However a candidate chooses
> submit a resume, though, it is the first sample I have of the
> candidate's work. If it's sloppy, that's a bad sign. If it's
> manually
> formatted, that's usually also a bad sign. I have *never* had
> trouble
> filling a position with a highly qualified writer. I may indeed
> have
> missed some qualified candidates whose resumes were manually
> formatted,
> but neither our projects nor our clients have suffered. So, yes, I
> guess this practice has worked just fine for us.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://auctions.yahoo.com