Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:59:19 -0600

Long ago and far away (on another list that allowed job postings) a person posted a job, gave specific directions as to how he wanted the resume. Have no clue how many responses he had, but I can guess the one I know about did not get the job.

For starters, instead of submitting it to him personally, it was submitted to the list. And instead of being in Word, it was .rft. Now, granted, the person may have created it in another word processor had had to submit it in rtf, but the accompanying e-mail did not give any indication of this. Right off, this tells me this person is inattentive to details and doesn't follow directions very well.

Being the nosy sort, I opened the thing. When I talk to "newbies" I frequently show that resume (all personal/identifying information carefully deleted, of course) as an example of how to get your resume tossed in the trash (or get the delete button pressed). The submitter apparently didn't know to use the space bar to separate words, had not done a spell check, had these unreadable chunks of information.

A good, clean resume is important, and following directions is critical.

Jo Byrd

Kelley wrote:

<snip>

For me, substance counts. I just tossed more than 3/4 of the resumes we rec'd, but it was mainly because they didn't follow directions, not because they didn't know the secret handshake.