Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:11:48 -0600

Speaking of pdf.... I converted my resume to pdf and sent it to several "shops" - after I had already spoken to the recruiter; I was NOT sending it blind. I said, in the cover e-mail, that it was in pdf - because I never knew what word processing software people have and "just about everyone has Acrobat Reader". I did this because I did not want the shop "reformatting" my lovely, beautifully formatted (with styles, thank you), no typo resume into something that did not resemble me in the least (I once went on an interview; the shop rep handed me the resume they had sent to the potential client. I looked at it in absolute horror: who WAS this woman, and WHAT was I going to tell the client when he asked me questions about it???!!! Fortunately, he was so impressed he didn't. Hired me on the spot).

It was amazing how many replies I got whining about not being able to open the pdf, could I send it in Word. No clue as to what Acrobat Reader is, wouldn't have helped if I'd given them the link. I suspect the same thing would happen if I sent it in rtf. Which is why my resume uses standard fonts and clean, simple formatting, styles and all.

Jo Byrd

Ed Manley wrote:

<snip>

Use RTF and MS Word.

<snip>

As far as a formatted resume, unless they ask specifically for a Word doc I strongly recommend that you convert it to a PDF if you possibly can. This gives you total control over appearance. When you email the PDF file include a link to the free Acrobat Reader online download so they can read the doc (Most folks already have Acrobat Reader).

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr