Other handshakes?

Subject: Other handshakes?
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:29:37 -0500 (EST)

So,...that was interesting.

Anyone want to volunteer information on other
secret hiring handshakes, akin to using styles in
Word on resumes, that job seekers should be aware
of?

Frankly, I find it amazing that hiring managers
would be so quick to reject a resume without any
knowledge of how or why the formatting was applied
as it was. I suppose that it's an effective
screening (effective being defined as "having
fewer resumes to actually read") tool, but most
resumes provide so many _valid_ reasons to reject
the applicant that I've had no need to look for
new ones.

Yes, if I were to look at the resume's formatting,
I'd probably have some questions for the submitter
if I had some reason to believe that the resume
represented the best efforts of the submitter
_in_terms_of_tool_use. That said, I can think of
at least 5 perfectly acceptable reasons for
submitting a resume in Word formatted without
styles or with a preponderance of Normal style or
otherwise oddly.

So, what _are_ some other secret handshakes?

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

BTW, my resume uses styles (compulsively) but I
may remove them, as I don't think I'd enjoy
working for someone who makes decisions based on
bad information, incomplete data, or unfounded
assumptions. As Laura said, "your loss."