Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)

Subject: Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:14:33 -0000

On a related subject, if I'm viewing writing samples or looking at
somebody's resume on their Web site, I always look at the HTML source to
determine, if possible, how it was constructed. That is, many HTML tools
insert header information about the source tool that people fail to
remove. Furthermore, as everybody knows, if people save from MS Word
then they get lots of extra code.

Now, if someone lists HTML amongst their skills, but their Web site was
all auto-magically created by MS FrontPage, should they receive strikes
against them? Am I a big tool snob if I think they should author these
pages by hand (particularly as most portfolio/resume sites are pretty
straight forward)? Just a thought. I'm far more ambivalent about this
issue, probably because it hasn't occurred very often. Thanks. DB.