RE: Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)

Subject: RE: Online portfolios and viewing source (was RE: Other handshakes?)
From: "Justin Cascio" <justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:06:51 -0500

Darren Barefoot wrote:

> Now, if someone lists HTML amongst their skills, but their Web site was
> all auto-magically created by MS FrontPage, should they receive strikes
> against them? Am I a big tool snob if I think they should author these
> pages by hand (particularly as most portfolio/resume sites are pretty
> straight forward)? Just a thought. I'm far more ambivalent about this
> issue, probably because it hasn't occurred very often. Thanks. DB.

I'm a huge tool snob when it comes to HTML, but I'd have to say that I
wouldn't necessarily discriminate against someone who lists HTML as a skill,
but uses FrontPage or some other similar editing tool. I would still check
their source code, and see if I could tell whether they'd hand-edited it at
all after generating it: I'd look for redundant style tags, for instance.
However, if I interviewed that person, I'd seriously drill on HTML questions
to make sure they weren't totally reliant upon editing tools.

Truth is, most of the jobs I've seen out there that want a webby TW, require
that the TW use their house HTML editing tool, whichever one they use. I've
been involved in the interview process at my last agency, interviewing
candidates the agency was considering hiring for their tech writing
abilities. I go over their resumes, and if they list HTML or any editing
tool as one of their skills, I test them on HTML tags and structure, not how
to use the tool. I keep in mind that most clients will only want the person
to use an editing tool, but also that it's necessary to know HTML to fix any
problems generated by your tool.

Justin