RE: Got Process?

Subject: RE: Got Process?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:42:55 -0800 (PST)

"Steve Hudson" wrote...

> Like I said - this is getting silly Andrew. You are the first person to
put
> the word AUTOMATED in place - shows why you have no clue.

Let's not make this personal, Steve. We're discussing a topic, not me.

A process that isn't automated must therefore be manual. That means a
PERSON must use that process. That person must apply intelligence to make
that process work. Hence, the process is only as good as the person using
it. If the person is a moron, they will use the process to produce
garbage. The process may include steps to catch that garbage, but then
that means you need a process to filter out the garbage and convert it to
gold.

Hence, you have processes that spawn processes, increasing the overhead of
the entire process as a whole.

If the person using the process was not a moron but a skilled, intelligent
person who could handle complex problems without an elaborate process,
they could adapt to the dynamic situation and produce quality regardless.

Since most businesses are very dynamic, anything that adds overhead must
be weighed carefully against the need to change things.

Again, nobody said "DON'T USE A PROCESS!!!" All I am saying is: don't
mistake process for quality or process for intelligence.

> See, most of us
> work, and in doing so follow a process. We don't have machines running
> around for us to do our writing.

My point was to emphasize that you cannot replace intelligence and
experience with a process.

> Its a written down form of common sense. One of the big advantages to
> writing it down is it makes it very easy to stand back and look at it
> impartially, thus allowing for improvement.

Or fall in love with it and assume it will work for everybody.

Andrew Plato

http://auctions.yahoo.com