RE: Got Process?

Subject: RE: Got Process?
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:56:31 +1100

OK - an example of what I am talking about.

I produce tools for Word. They are implemented as templates. For quite some
time now I have just been 'ad hoc' finishing them off, but realised I was
not getting the Q I required. So I, just today, wrote down my instructions
for finalising a template. Now I have a listy I can add to and refer to at
whim to ensure Q. I get the strong feeling from your posts you are saying
that my time spent on writing these instructions would have been better
spent on doing the templates themselves.

> A process that isn't automated must therefore be manual. That means a
PERSON must use that process. That person must apply intelligence to make
that process work.

Disagree strongly - at several large computer rooms I supervised (watching
passively only) trainees (in context, morons) performing incredibly complex
sequences with almost no knowledge at all, as the documentation was detailed
enough to allow it. A good process enables just about anyone to perform it.
A bad process is hard to understand for an expert. There were several such
bad processes there, and even the old timers couldn't work em out. So I
rewrote them and everyone was happy as it made sense at last.

> Again, nobody said "DON'T USE A PROCESS!!!" All I am saying is: don't
mistake process for quality or process for intelligence.

IMHO, some of your posts do say, very clearly, "DON'T USE A PROCESS!!!", or
at the very least - don't waste your time developing such.

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com